Santos Will Speak About Security At The UN And Expects To Meet With Bill Clinton And Blair

first_imgBy Dialogo September 21, 2010 It is about time we had a respected leader for the good of our South America. The president of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos, will make his debut at a UN General Assembly next week with a speech in which he will address topics related to security, the economy, and social development, he announced Saturday. Santos, who took office on 7 August, said that he also expects to meet in New York with former U.S. president Bill Clinton, former British prime minister Tony Blair, and leaders from Egypt, Indonesia, South Africa, Turkey, and Vietnam, among other prominent figures. Colombia is one of the three countries that will address the United Nations (UN) Assembly this year on “the progress made in the last few years on security matters and in the social and economic spheres,” the head of state said. Santos, an economist with degrees from the University of Kansas (United States) and the London School of Economics in England, was defense minister in the administration of former Colombian president Álvaro Uribe (2002-2010). Uribe pursued a policy of ‘democratic security’ against leftist guerrillas, extreme right-wing paramilitaries, drug traffickers, and other criminals, a policy that had its best results when Santos was minister, between July 2006 and May 2009. Speaking Saturday in the locality of San Vicente del Caguán (700 km south of Bogotá) – the epicenter of the failed peace talks between the administration of former president Andrés Pastrana (1998-2002) and the FARC guerrilla group – Santos indicated that the “progress” made in his country in security matters is due to Uribe’s strategy. The current president has promised to continue and improve the ‘democratic security’ policy, with the aim of advancing toward ‘democratic prosperity’ in a country of around forty-five million inhabitants with high levels of poverty, social inequality, and violence.last_img read more

Zephyr Teachout to Cuomo: Let’s Debate

first_img#461398915 / gettyimages.com “It is time to refocus the candidate debate away from political posturing in favor of political responsibility,” it reads. “We need to hear how our candidates respond when probed by people who either disagree with them or who simply want them to clarify their positions or provide more detail.”Teachout and her running mate, Lt. Governor-hopeful Timothy Wu, have been fierce critics of Cuomo. She has called him a “corporate Democrat” who doesn’t represent blue collar New Yorkers. She also wasted no time criticizing him after the Times reported that close Cuomo aides interfered with the Moreland Commission, which he unceremoniously disbanded in March. Teachout earlier this summer lost the Working Families Party nomination to Cuomo, but she has touted the ones she’s gained since then. This week, she was endorsed by the New York State Public Employees Federation, the second-largest employee union in the state. Earlier this month, she got the nod of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee. Teachout has been busy on the campaign trail, but a recent poll found that the far majority of New Yorkers still don’t know who she is. Also, her campaign coffer is anemic compared to Cuomo’s, who, according to his campaign’s most recent financial disclosure, boasts a $32.4 million war chest. Teachout reportedly has $181,000 on hand. It’s a debate Teachout wants. But she may not get her wish. The ball is in Cuomo’s court. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By successfully defending herself in court against Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s lawyers who argued last week that Zephyr Teachout should be thrown off the Democratic primary ballot because she’s not a true New Yorker, Teachout has shown she won’t back down. And now she wants a debate. So do her supporters, one of whom created a moveon.org petition calling for a public debate. And so does the influential New York Times editorial board, which on Monday said Cuomo “should defend his first term in a series of robust debates with her in the weeks before the primary, rather than through the timidity of litigation.” It’s unclear what Cuomo wants. (His campaign spokesperson did not return an e-mail seeking comment.) The governor just returned from a much-publicized tour of Israel this week with Sen. Dean Skelos (R-Rockville Centre) and other notable state lawmakers. The group reportedly declined a Palestinian invitation. He has barely acknowledged Teachout’s existence, and when he finally did it was through his lawyers in court. The Sept. 9 primary is now only three weeks away. Teachout, a Fordham law professor, seemed galvanized by her victory in court Monday, when a state judge ruled against Cuomo’s attorneys, who argued that Teachout hasn’t lived in New York long enough to run for governor. Cuomo’s campaign immediately said it would appeal the ruling. “There’s no more excuse—we need to have a debate,” Teachout told the Press after the ruling. “There are many serious policy decisions that will be made the next couple of years. Let’s have a debate about Common Core. Let’s have a debate about school funding. Let’s have a debate about fracking. We’d all benefit from that.”The petition, created by a student at Fordham University School of Law, says New Yorkers deserve to hear both candidates before the primary. last_img read more

The reluctant leader

first_img“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them,” wrote Shakespeare in Twelfth Night.Accomplished leaders range from Napoleon Bonaparte to Ernest Shackleton; Florence Nightingale to Malala Yousafzai.Some have aspired to leadership. Others have not.“Some people are born leaders, but that doesn’t mean they want to step into management roles at work,” notes FastCompany. Only one-third of workers think a managerial job would advance their career, according to a recent survey by Addison Group. continue reading » 7SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img

Developer profile: French revolution

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

There’s a push to silence conservative viewpoints

first_imgStuff co.nz 5 September 2017Family First Comment: Well said Karl “One rule for groups promoting “progressive” causes, but another for organisations that take a socially conservative position? That’s how it looks to me. What we are witnessing, I believe, is the gradual squeezing out of conservative voices as that monoculture steadily extends its reach.” The warning is there….OPINION: While the nation’s attention has been occupied by political drama and the election campaign, other things – serious things – have been going on almost unnoticed.Last week, students at Auckland University voted to “disaffiliate” – “expel” would be a more honest word – a students’ anti-abortion group, ProLife Auckland. You don’t have to be opposed to abortion (as I am) to find this attack on free speech ominous.A spokeswoman for Auckland Students for Choice, a women’s rights group that pushed for a referendum on the issue, said the pro-lifers were “an embarrassment”.Clearly, groups that campaign to save unborn children are ideologically unfashionable, so must be discouraged by all means possible.Overseas, this phenomenon is known as “no platforming” – denying a voice to people you disagree with. This is rampant on university campuses in Britain and the United States and it’s lamentable that the practice has shown up here.But it was probably inevitable, given that universities throughout the western world have been ideologically captured and no longer bother to maintain the pretence that they promote freedom of speech and robust intellectual debate. Yet democracy is built around the contestability of ideas, as the current election campaign reminds us.The pro-life student group was accused of “propagating harmful misinformation”. If this phrase has an uncomfortably familiar ring, it may be because it’s similar to the language used by totalitarian regimes to silence dissidents before packing them off to re-education (read “punishment”) camps.Ironically, if anyone could be accused of propagating misinformation, it was those campaigning to banish the pro-life group.But the Auckland student referendum isn’t the only unsettling thing to have happened in recent weeks. Last month, the Charities Registration Board announced that it was stripping the conservative lobby group Family First of its charitable status, which means donations to the organisation would no longer tax deductible.The board made this decision on the basis that Family First “did not advance exclusively charitable purposes”. This was essentially a re-affirmation of a decision it had made previously, but which it was forced to reconsider following a court ruling.To be fair, Family First is primarily a lobby group. But hang on a minute, so are the Child Poverty Action Group and Greenpeace, both of which enjoy charitable status.READ MORE: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/opinion/96490832/theres-a-push-to-silence-conservative-viewpointsKeep up with family issues in NZ. Receive our weekly emails direct to your Inbox.last_img read more

Premier League urges government to stick to date for fans return

first_imgRelatedPosts Bayern Munich fans undergo Super Cup coronavirus tests Ighalo: My best moment as ‘Red Devil’ Ings not interested in leaving Saints, Southampton manager says The Premier League has urged the British government to stay committed to its plans for a controlled return of fans into stadiums from October 1.The government last week restricted pilot events to 1,000 spectators after a spike in COVID-19 cases, and said it would review the date when fans could enter stadiums. The Premier League said in a statement on Thursday that clubs remain committed to ensuring stadiums will be a safe environment for supporters.“Clubs will adopt a range of common standards, which will help deliver bio-secure, safe environments for fans across the League,” the league said.The English top-flight had written to the government, saying clubs face losses of up to 700 million pounds ($906.78 million) if matches continue to be held behind closed doors.“Clubs reaffirmed that the continued loss of match-day revenues is having a significant impact across the League as well as on the football pyramid, local and national economies,” the league said.“The League and clubs urge Government to remain committed to the October 1 date for the controlled return of fans to sporting venues,” it said. Reuters/NAN.Tags: British GovernmentFansPremier Leaguelast_img read more

Cheltenham pair in line for rematch

first_img Disappointing in two runs since then, Kauto Stone accounted for First Lieutenant in that win and could meet the Mouse Morris-trained horse again. Morris’ eight-year-old is coming off the back of victory over Menorah in the Betfred Bowl at Aintree, having previously been second in the Ryanair Chase at Cheltenham. Like Sir Des Champs, he is owned by Gigginstown House Stud, who can also call on the Colm Murphy-trained Quito De La Roque. Sizing Europe also has the option of this three-mile-one-furlong event in addition to the two-mile Boylesports.com Champion Chase on Tuesday. John Smith’s Grand National third Teaforthree has been left in by Rebecca Curtis, with Chicago Grey, who was pulled up at Aintree having been well fancied, a possible starter for Gordon Elliott. Ted Walsh’s Seabass, 13th in the National having been third the year before, is another still entered. Captain Chris, Pandorama, Noble Prince and Whodoyouthink complete the line-up. Press Association Sir Des Champs and Long Run, second and third respectively in the Cheltenham Gold Cup, are on course to clash in TheTote.com Punchestown Gold Cup on Wednesday.center_img The Willie Mullins-trained Sir Des Champs was beaten seven lengths by Bobs Worth last month, with the winner’s stablemate Long run a further two and three-quarter lengths back in third. Long Run’s trainer Nicky Henderson has also left in Riverside Theatre, with Paul Nicholls responsible for Kauto Stone, a Grade One winner at Downpatrick in November. last_img read more

Townsend eager to return for Tottenham

first_img Veteran keeper Brad Friedel, likely to be utilised again for the upcoming European tie against Ukrainian outfit Dnipro, feels the 45-year-old’s time working under previous Spurs managers has helped make for a smooth transition. “Like (Sherwood) said when he first got appointed, there wasn’t this big settling in period for him because he’s been at Tottenham for so many years and he knows the players,” Friedel told talkSPORT. “We have had a lot of very good training sessions to understand his style of football and what he wants to implement, and a lot of the players who didn’t know him now know his demeanour and what he wants, so it is all good so far.” Press Association England winger Andros Townsend cannot wait to get back into action for Tottenham ahead of Sunday’s Barclays Premier League game against Everton at White Hart Lane, according to manager Tim Sherwood. Sherwood confirmed midfielder Mousa Dembele should also be available after missing the draw with Hull because of an ankle injury. Tottenham are in fifth place, a point behind Everton, who beat Aston Villa last weekend. Defender Jan Vertonghen and Younes Kaboul are two more of Sherwood’s players to recover full match fitness following lay-off from respective ankle and thigh problems. Captain Michael Dawson has welcomed the competition for places that such strength in depth of numbers brings as Spurs look to secure a top-four Premier League finish and also make progress in Europe. “It is always good to have players back. We have the Europa League starting again soon as well, so there are plenty of games,” Dawson said. “We have top players who want to play, so competition is high and you know you have to perform well to stay in the team. “We all want the game time and we are all pushing each other.” Sherwood took over when Portuguese head coach Andre Villas-Boas was axed in December and has guided the team to five league wins since being promoted from the backroom staff. The 22-year-old World Cup hopeful has not featured for the first team since suffering a hamstring injury against West Ham on December 18, but has recently stepped up his rehabilitation, part of which included a run-out for the Under-21s, and so is likely to be back in contention this weekend. “We are positive on Andros and he has a chance (for Everton), he is up for selection and is champing at the bit to return,” Sherwood said on the club’s official website, www.tottenhamhotspur.com. last_img read more

Butler, Providence meet in Big East quarters

first_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNo. 5 seed Butler (22-9, 10-8) vs. No. 4 seed Providence (19-12, 12-6)Big East Conference Tourney Quarterfinals, Madison Square Garden, New York; Thursday, 1:30 p.m. EDTBOTTOM LINE: Butler and Providence are prepared to face off in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament. The teams split the regular season series at one win apiece. The teams last played on Feb. 1, when the Friars shot 40.4 percent from the field and went 17 for 21 from the free throw line en route to the 65-61 victory. For more AP college basketball coverage: https://apnews.com/Collegebasketball and http://twitter.com/AP_Top25___This was generated by Automated Insights, http://www.automatedinsights.com/ap, using data from STATS LLC, https://www.stats.com March 10, 2020 Associated Press center_img VETERAN PRESENCE: Both of these teams have relied heavily on their seniors this year. Alpha Diallo, David Duke, Luwane Pipkins, Nate Watson and Maliek White have combined to account for 73 percent of Providence’s scoring this season. For Butler, Kamar Baldwin, Sean McDermott, Bryce Nze and Jordan Tucker have collectively accounted for 67 percent of all Butler scoring, including 75 percent of the team’s points over its last five games.BRILLIANT BALDWIN: Baldwin has connected on 33.1 percent of the 133 3-pointers he’s attempted and has made 6 of 14 over his last three games. He’s also made 85 percent of his foul shots this season.PERFECT WHEN: Providence is a flawless 16-0 when its defense holds opponents to a field goal percentage of 40.8 percent or less. The Friars are 3-12 when allowing opponents to shoot any better than that.ASSIST RATIOS: The Bulldogs have recently used assists to create buckets more often than the Friars. Providence has 32 assists on 77 field goals (41.6 percent) over its past three contests while Butler has assists on 37 of 78 field goals (47.4 percent) during its past three games.DID YOU KNOW: Providence has attempted the second-most free throws among all Big East teams. The Friars have averaged 21.4 free throws per game this season, including 25 per game over their six-game winning streak.___ Butler, Providence meet in Big East quarterslast_img read more

No. 2: The new offensive coaching staff

first_img Published on August 7, 2015 at 8:00 am Contact Sam: sblum@syr.edu | @SamBlum3 Facebook Twitter Google+ With Syracuse football training camp approaching, The Daily Orange beat writers, Sam Blum, Jesse Dougherty, Matt Schneidman and Paul Schwedelson, will reveal the top 15 preseason storylines with a new one every other day. Make sure to check dailyorange.com and click here to see all the posts as we count down to camp.Tim Lester took over as offensive coordinator five games into a season that Syracuse’s offense had generated fewer than 13 points per game in its losses. Despite the lack of production, he decided to not change much from then-demoted George McDonald’s playbook, instead riding out the string on the final seven games that saw little improvement putting the ball in the end zone.The former Elmhurst head coach decided to wait until the spring season to install his new offense. He said he installed and tried to perfect 50 percent of the playbook — about 15 plays, in his estimation — during that time.Now with a new offense, a new tight ends coach in old college teammate Jake Moreland and former TE coach Bobby Acosta switching to coach the wide receivers, there’s a different look to a coaching staff trying to improve on SU’s six passing and 12 rushing touchdowns from the 2014 season.McDonald preached an offense that ran no-huddle. Lester, though, is completely different, instead trying to shift quarterback Terrel Hunt into more of a pocket passer and utilize a new position that Lester has dubbed the “hybrid.” It’s a position that will be used for both running and catching the ball, as well as blocking when needed.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textLast season, with an ever-in-flux quarterback situation, an offensive line that couldn’t stay healthy and two primary offensive threats in Ashton Broyld and Brisly Estime both hurt, there was no semblance of consistency on the offense. As reported by Syracuse.com’s Stephen Bailey, there was never more than one cadence used to snap the ball.So even though Lester got a taste of what being in charge was like in 2014, there was hardly a chance for him to turn around a historically bad offense. The clean slate in 2015 provides him just that. Commentslast_img read more