The government is set to recruit international influencers to attract foreign tourists to Indonesia in the hopes of reinvigorating the tourism industry, which has been deflated by the deadly coronavirus outbreak.Tourism and Creative Economy Minister Wishnutama Kusubandio said the government, which gave his ministry a budget of Rp 72 billion (US$5.2 million) for promotional purposes, would use a portion of the funds to pay influencers. The budget is part of a Rp 10.3 trillion stimulus package that was announced Tuesday. However, he declined to divulge the exact amount allocated only for influencers as the government still needed to negotiate with them. “We need to ask them first. Let’s say we choose to [target] the United States, we will need to find a US influencer. Or are we really going to influence the US market with an Indonesian influencer? That won’t have any impact,” he said on Wednesday.The government has yet to announce any names so far, but the minister explained that it would look at the person’s social media platforms as a criteria in choosing the right influencers.“We are still formulating the requirements for the influencers. It will be determined through their engagement rate and amount of views on YouTube or Instagram. Once we find the best one among the candidates, we will approach them,” Wishnutama said.Read also: Govt to pay Rp 72 billion to influencers to boost tourism amid coronavirus outbreak Aside from the US, he said the government would hire influencers from various nations, such as Australia and India and countries in Europe and the Middle East. Each influencer will promote Indonesia to their respective countries. However, some international influencers may be out of the government’s budget, Wishnutama said.”Honestly, we can’t afford BTS,” he said, referring to the popular South Korean boyband. “We probably would need around $10 million [to hire BTS] but smaller influencers will be cheaper. We’re still currently making calculations.”The global COVID-19 outbreak has depressed the tourism industry in Indonesia, with some tourist destinations suffering a loss of foreign tourist arrivals even though the archipelago has yet to confirm any cases to date. Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Pandjaitan recently said that the industry had lost an estimated US$ 500 million due to tourists’ fears over the coronavirus.Whisnutama said officials still had to ensure that the chosen influencers would be willing to promote Indonesia and accept the negotiated prices.The plan would begin to be implemented in March, he added. Topics :
Tottenham will have to significantly increase their bid for Saido Berahino to convince West Brom to sell. The offer is understood to have frustrated the Baggies and strengthened their determination to keep the England Under-21 international. Peace said in a statement issued by the club on Tuesday: “Our position remains unchanged. The sale of this player is not on our agenda.” Berahino was again left out of the Albion squad to face Port Vale in the Capital One Cup after they rejected his transfer request on Monday. The 22-year-old handed in a written request to leave The Hawthorns following Spurs’ opening offer last week, which was also immediately dismissed. He was also omitted from the squad for West Brom’s 3-2 defeat to Chelsea on Sunday because Tony Pulis felt he was not in the right frame of mind to play. It is understood Berahino was happy to face the champions but Pulis wanted to take him out of the spotlight. Pulis has grown increasingly frustrated at the situation surrounding the forward and has called for the transfer window to close before the season starts to avoid unsettling speculation. Berahino scored 20 goals last season and was called up to Roy Hodgson’s senior England squad but is yet to earn a full cap. He signed a three-and-a-half year deal at West Brom in 2013 but the club stalled on offering him new terms last season after off-field issues. In January he was banned from driving for 12 months after pleading guilty to drink driving. Press Association Spurs have not offered enough to break Albion chairman Jeremy Peace’s resolve over letting the striker leave. A second bid was instantly rejected on Tuesday and Press Association Sport understands the deal would have risen to £21million only with a series of lengthy instalments and clauses.
(REUTERS)-All-rounder Asela Gunaratne struck a superb 84 off 46 balls to inspire Sri Lanka to a dramatic two-wicket victory over Australia in the second Twenty20 International in South Geelong, Victoria yesterday.The touring side needed 48 runs off the last three overs to clinch the series and Gunaratne, who smashed five sixes and six fours, led them home.Australia got off to a flying start, hitting 60 runs in the first six overs, and although medium-pacer Nuwan Kulasekara took four wickets, Moises Henriques made an unbeaten 56 off 37 balls to lift the hosts to a decent total of 173.Sri Lanka stumbled early as their top order collapsed, losing five wickets for 41 runs in the first five overs.A spirited 52-run partnership between Gunaratne and Chamara Kapugedera steadied the innings, however, before the 31-year-old Gunaratne took charge to guide his side to an unlikely victory.“Asela’s was an amazing innings,” Sri Lanka captain Upul Tharanga said.“We lost too many wickets early but Asela finished the game for us. Winning in Australia is a huge achievement. This is Asela’s first tour to Australia and we are happy.”Australia are fielding a depleted side with their full-strength test squad currently in India. The third and final match of the series will be played on Wednesday in Adelaide.“That was one hell of an innings,” Australia captain Aaron Finch said. “When you have a good player in good form, they hurt you.“Sri Lanka played very well there. Take nothing away from them. The series is gone, but hopefully we can salvage something in Adelaide.”
(REUTERS) – The Football Association (FA) will break with tradition and no longer hand out champagne to competition winners to avoid offending players whose religious beliefs prohibit alcohol consumption.The decision was also taken to avoid handing alcohol to players under the legal age for drinking, which is 18 in Britain.“Winning teams will be awarded with non-alcoholic ‘champagne’ for their celebrations in all FA competitions, starting from this year’s Emirates FA Cup Final,” FA said in a statement.“This is to ensure that we are as inclusive as possible to players and communities who may be prohibited from alcohol, as well as any players who are under 18.”Champagne is often sprayed on the pitch during the victory celebrations.The move will come into effect at next month’s FA Cup final when Manchester City take on Watford at Wembley Stadium on May 18.Manchester City’s Riyad Mahrez, Benjamin Mendy and Ilkay Gundogan are among the Muslims who could take part in this year’s final, along with Watford’s Abdoulaye Doucoure. Islam prohibits the consumption of alcohol.